Missing teeth can have a drastic effect on your oral health, facial structure, and consequently, your mental health. It can cause bone resorption, a natural process whereby bone tissue is broken down as a result of missing teeth. This bone resorption changes your facial structure by causing wrinkling and sunken lips—not ideal to look and feel your best self. If you find yourself dealing with tooth loss, you might be the right candidate for dental implants. Dental implants are a safe way to prevent bone resorption and retain your smile…for life!
Dental implants are one of the most popular options for restoring the integrity of your smile. They are a permanent solution that has helped a lot of patients regain their confidence and improve overall oral health. If you are considering dental implants, but are not fully informed of the process and the maintenance that comes with implants, we will cover what the procedure entails and why dental implants are a safe and effective procedure for tooth restoration. So what are the benefits of dental implants?
First things first: what are dental implants? In short, they are artificial tooth roots placed in your jawbone to hold replacement teeth in place. They are made of titanium, which is a biocompatible material that integrates with your bone tissue. This makes dental implants a very strong and stable option for tooth replacement.
The first step in getting dental implants is to have a consultation with your dentist to see if you are a good candidate for the procedure. We first do an X-ray and CT scan of your jaw to evaluate teeth, bone tissue and create a plan-of-action so the angle of the implant is correct. A local anesthetic will be administered, to place the implant post.
Candidates for dental implants should have healthy gums and adequate bone density in their jawbone to support the implant(s). You may be a candidate for dental implants if you have one or more missing teeth due to injury or disease and would like to improve your appearance and oral health. Once it is determined that you are a good candidate, the next step is to have the implant placed in your jawbone. This is done through a surgical procedure. Once the implant has been placed, it will take some time for it to heal and integrate with your jawbone. Once the implant has healed, a small connector, called an abutment, is placed on top of the implant. The abutment acts as a support for the new tooth, which is typically made from porcelain.
There are many reasons why someone might choose dental implants over other options such as dentures or bridges. One reason is that dental implants are very stable and do not require any special care beyond what you would normally do to take care of your teeth ( brushing, flossing, etc.). It is also worth noting that dental implants can last a lifetime with proper care. Another reason why someone might choose dental implants is because they preserve your jawbone and help to prevent bone loss. When you lose a tooth, there is empty space in your mouth where the tooth used to be. Over time, this can cause your jawbone to deteriorate and change shape. Dental implants help to prevent this by filling in that empty space and keeping your jawbone healthy and strong. Finally, dental implants look and feel just like real teeth! They are designed to match your existing teeth so that no one will be able to tell that they are not your natural teeth.
To summarize, the benefits of Dental Implants are pretty significant! They…
- Improve Appearance: Dental implants look and feel like your own teeth! They are designed to match the color and shape of your natural teeth.
- Improve Speech: Because dental implants are securely placed in the jawbone, they will not slip or move around when you talk, unlike dentures or bridges. This can help you feel more confident when speaking in front of others.
- Improve Comfort: Dental implants eliminate the discomfort of removable dentures. They also free you from the worry that your denture will slip or move while you eat, talk, or laugh.
- Won’t Affect Other teeth: A lot of times patient’s worry that their adjacent teeth might be impacted by the addition of implants—but that’s actually not true!
- Improve Oral Health: When you lose teeth, it can cause the surrounding teeth to shift out of place over time. Having dental implants helps to prevent this from happening and maintains proper spacing between your teeth.
- Make Eating Easier: Removable dentures can make it difficult to chew certain foods because they may slip out of place or break easily. Dental implants allow you to eat without worrying about your denture slipping out of place or breaking.
- Are durable: With proper care, dental implants can last for many years! They are designed to fuse with your bone and provide lifelong support for your artificial teeth.
- Are convenient: Unlike removable dentures, dental implants do not need to be removed for cleaning because they are permanently placed in your mouth! You can brush and floss them just like your natural teeth!
The benefits of Dental implants prevail over other options for tooth replacement such as dentures or bridges. They are permanent, stable, and look and feel just like real teeth. If you have lost a tooth (or multiple teeth) due to injury or disease, consider talking to your dentist about whether dental implants might be right for you. Schedule an appointment with our office today if you think you may need dental implants!
At Somerset Dental on James, we understand that dental implants are a big decision. That’s why we are committed to giving you the best possible treatment from highly-trained professionals. We believe that dental implants should be about more than just getting your teeth back – they should also be about setting your teeth up for beauty and health longevity. That’s why we offer a comprehensive dental care plan that includes everything from regular check-ups to dental implants. We’re dedicated to providing you with the best possible care, and we’ll work with you to ensure that you’re getting the most benefits of dental implants.
Contact us today to learn more about our services and how we can help you achieve your dental goals. You are also always welcome to share your thoughts with us.
What do you currently know about dental implants and has this article changed your opinion or perspective on them as a dental procedure? We invite you to share your experience in the comments below.